Monday, September 13, 2010

My Reading Nook


There are some books that speak to your heart and leave an impression - books you wish you could read over and over again - if you only had the time.

I love reading because I tend to associate memories with each book. "The Chronicles of Narnia" make think of our family trip to Italy in 2003. I picked it up before we left, not really knowing what it was about or if I would enjoy it.

But just as the Pevensie children were pulled into the magical world of Narnia, I was immediately drawn into their fantastical adventures. I specifically remember reading about Rabadash the Ridiculous in "The Horse and His Boy" while swaying in a hammock on the deck of a boat for 3 hours as we cruised along the Amalfi Coast. I remember thinking how much the Italian city of Positano looked like the Calormene city of Tashbaan.


"The Lord of the Rings" was another magical experience for me. I had a sinus infection at one point during my summer internship in D.C. To pass the time, I started reading "The Fellowship of the Ring." ...And then I couldn't put it down. I took the book with me everywhere. People on the Metro saw me reading it and would say, "Oh, I wish I could read "Lord of the Rings" again for the first time!" Now, people in D.C. do not speak to one another on the Metro (something us friendly Texans can't understand), so that was a big deal!

The next year at ORU, I related my experiences to my favorite English teacher. She had discussed the books in class, saying that many of her students said the books made them feel "clean." Themes of honor, valor, loyalty and beauty have somehow become rare in modern literature.

Other memories...
  • "The Knights of Evermore," one of my absolute favorite books, makes me think of my chaplain Mitzi and our amazing times at the Shead Farm.
  • I read C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy with my 'sister' Bashorat while we were in Uzbekistan, where we held covert church services in our apartment.
  • "Under Cover" by John Bevere brings to mind all that the Lord taught me during my summer internship with CAI in Dallas.
  • I listened to "Little Women" during the desolate drive out to Lubbock to visit one of my best friends, Hannah.
  • My wonderful mentor, Carolyn, recommended "The Disciplines of a Beautiful Woman" and has since taught me so much about TeaCup Living and gracious hospitality.
I could go on and on - Anne of Green Gables, The Hiding Place, The Richest Man in Babylon, When Dreams Come True... There's just so many good books!

3 comments:

  1. What a great post! I do the same thing, attaching the books I have read with experiences in my life:) Some of these books have become habits, if you will, where I return to them when I get the chance:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how in the world the first word that came to mind to describe the journey to Lubbock was desolate!?!? Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannan- I love when books become habits/traditions. They're like familiar friends. (wow, that sounds really sappy lol)
    HB- I know right? Lubbock - desolate? Hardly...

    ReplyDelete