Sunday, September 5, 2010

Successful Ride

Yesterday I had a great 40-mile bike ride with my dad! We went up to Sanger and rode around Lake Ray Roberts. The weather was wonderful - in the 80's with a slight breeze. More importantly, I didn't wreck, fall down or get a flat.

Let's recap my cycling experiences for the last month:
  • Bike wreck - Totally wiped out at the end of a ride. I had 2 flats, dragging breaks, a large bruise on my hip (I still can't lay on my right side), and a scuffed up elbow.
  • Another flat - Went for a ride with my roommate half way into it I got a flat. Luckily, a nice guy named Chuck helped me change my tube.
  • Bike fail - Started to go on a ride and nearly wrecked while going down a hill... My hands were shaky & I couldn't keep the front wheel steady. It was a nice thought though...
  • Bike fail (reprise) - My roommate and I got all ready for our bike ride; we were in the car literally pulling out of the apt complex and I looked at the clock. "Ah man! I have to meet my parents in Lewisville in an hour. There's no way I have time to ride right now!" So we turned around and I did the ride on my CycleOps.
  • Pre-ride flat - With my luck, my dad said I needed a spare tube before we went for our ride. So that morning, I stopped by Richardson Bike Mart to pick one up. While I was there, they noticed that my tire was fraying in one spot and said I needed a new one. "It's only $20 and I can change it right now." Okay, no problem. Bike fixed - off to meet my dad... By the time I took my bike off my bike rack, the tire was completely flat and would not hold air. What the heck? So I went into Bluebonnet Bicycles (where I was supposed to meet my dad) and they said the guy must have pinched the tube when he put the new tire on, because there were 3 holes in it. Seriously?!? So, I got another new tube. Just in case, I now have 2 spare tubes.
In light of all this, I am really glad the ride went well yesterday. I was beginning to think I was fated to never ride again! Phew. Dodged that bullet. So next Saturday I'm planning to ride with Richardson Bike Mart's beginner group - that is, after they refund the pinched bike tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment