Saturday, November 13, 2010

Rumble Report

I had a good race today!

After getting to bed a little past midnight, my morning started at a strikingly early 5:30am. I fumbled my way around the apartment, thankful that I had laid everything out the night before.

I decided to drop down from the 30K to the 15K, which turned out to be a good thing. I knew the course would be long (trail runs are always longer than what is marked), but the 18.6 mi/30K was actually 21.2 mi! Needless to say, I was happy with my 9.3 mi/15K (which was actually 9.9 mi).

We had absolutely beautiful running weather and the trails were in perfect condition despite yesterday's rain. I started the race off in the front of the pack for some reason. By the time we got into the woods, I realized I was leading a group of about 20 people. My dad had given me the challenge of running negative splits (run the second half faster than the first), but I had to push the pace with 20 people on my heels. I thought it was pretty funny when I nearly ate it, tripping over a covert tree stump. Around mile 2, about 12 of them passed me; shortly after, I "stopped to tie my shoe" so that I could have the trail to myself.

When I woke up this morning, I had a protein shake and 1/2 of a balance bar. These didn't go down too well and I had a stitch in my side most of the first half. I had to walk several times, but by the turnaround I had found my rhythm. They refilled my water bottle at the aid station and then I was just cruising!

I got lost in the woods - metaphysically speaking. Every now and then I would pass or be passed, but during the second half I simply reveled in the delight of trail running. I kept a steady pace and only walked up a few steep hills. It warmed up by the end, so I managed to take off my long-sleeve shirt and transfer my race number to my base layer, which took quite a bit of concentration at that point.

The Rumble's race finish consists of climbing up a set of steep stairs. The race is a tribute to America's veterans, so the stairs were lined with U.S. flags and patriotic signs. "No matter what," I thought, "I have to finish strong and run up those stairs." Thankfully, by the end I still had the energy to do so. What made it even better was that my dad was the one on the mic who announced my finish. "And here is #379, Katie Ryan, finishing her first Rumble!"


What a great run. I finished with even splits (right at 2hrs), ate Pam's red beans & rice afterward, and didn't even have to see Brian Blenden puke on the trail (sorry, inside joke)!

Success.

3 comments:

  1. Victorious Lover!! Well done-way to Rep the gamenight crew! Congratulations on a Rumble rumbled well.

    -Erik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I am extremely proud of you! You are a rockstar!

    ReplyDelete